Our astronomical neighborhood
A demonstration of nearby planets, stars and galaxies.
Solar System, nearby stars, galaxy, Andromeda, Milky Way, spiral arm, light year, Earth, Sun, star, Universe, astronomy, geography, physics
- diameter of the Earth: 12,756 km (7926 mi)
- 5 light years (47.3 trillion km or 29.4 trillion mi)
- - Also called Alpha Canis Maioris, it is one of the stars of the Canis Major constellation and the brightest star in the night sky. Its diameter is 1.8 times, its mass is 2.35 times, while its absolute luminosity is 23 times that of the Sun. The Sirius appears bluish white, due to its high surface temperature (10,000 K or 17540 °F). It has a white dwarf companion, Sirius B.
- - One of the stars of the Centaurus constellation. Also called Alpha Centauri C, it is the smallest member of the Alpha Centauri triple star system. It is a red dwarf, the closest star to our Sun at a distance of 4.24 light years (4×10¹³ km or 2.5×10¹³ mi).
- - The star at the center of the Solar System. Its diameter is 1,392,000 km (864,900 mi), 109 times that of the Earth. Its mean distance from the core of the Milky Way is about 27,000 light years. The star closest to the Sun is the Proxima Centauri (also known as Alpha Centauri C), at a distance of 4.24 light years.
The diameter of our galaxy is about 100,000 light years; it contains more than 100 billion stars, one of which is our Sun.
This animation demonstrates the process of star development for average and massive stars.
The diameter of the Sun is about 109 times that of the Earth. Most of its mass consists of hydrogen.
The animation shows the two-seater Lunar Rover used in the Apollo 15 mission
The Earth is a rocky planet with a solid crust and oxygen in its atmosphere.
The Hubble Space Telescope orbits outside the distorting influence of Earth´s atmosphere.
This animation presents some interesting facts in the field of astronomy.
The International Space Station is a habitable satellite built with the cooperation of 16 countries.
The Kepler space telescope was launched by NASA to discover Earth-like planets orbiting other stars
Space probes and Mars rovers examine the structure of Mars and possible traces of life.
Neil Armstrong, one of the crew members of Apollo 11 was the first man to set foot on the Moon.
The inner planets of the Solar System are terrestrial planets while the outer planets are gas giants.
Studying Ceres and Vesta will help us learn more about the early history of the Solar System and how rocky planets are formed.
The formation of the Sun and the planets started with the contraction of a dust cloud about 4.5 billion years ago.
The orbits of the 8 planets in our Solar System are elliptical.
The Voyager space probes were the first man-made objects to leave the Solar System. They gather data about outer space and carry information about humanity.
A spacecraft on its path is in a constant state of free fall.
Yuri Gagarin became the first human in space on April 12, 1961.
This animation introduces the studies of astronomers and physicists whose works fundamentally changed our view of the universe.